Karori Normal School

Mathematics at KNS

The structure of mathematics:

The achievement objectives are presented in Number and Algebra, Geometry and Measurement, and Statistics.  It is important that students can see and make sense of the many connections within and across the three strands.

Number and algebra – Number involves calculating and estimating, using appropriate mental, written, or manual calculation methods in flexible ways. It also involves knowing when it is appropriate to use estimation and being able to discern whether results are reasonable. Algebra involves generalising and representing the patterns and relationships found in numbers, shapes and measures.

Geometry and measurement – Geometry involves recognising and using the properties and symmetries of shapes and describing position and movement. Measurement involves quantifying the attributes of objects, using appropriate units and instruments. It also involves predicting and calculating rates of change.

Statistics involves identifying problems that can be explored by the use of appropriate data, designing investigations, collecting data, exploring and using patterns and relationships in data, solving problems, and communicating findings. Statistics also involves interpreting statistical information, evaluating data-based arguments, and dealing with uncertainty and variation.

Basic facts teaching is very important at KNS.  The quick recall of basic facts aids estimation and mental calculation, develops conceptual understanding, strengthens connections within and between strategies and is a prerequisite to working confidently and moving up through strategy stages. 

The Basic Facts Escalator is displayed in your child's classroom and is used within the maths programme and students should be familiar with the stages.

Brain

Maths Programmes

Students must be engaged in productive, independent rich tasks that engage, represent and express students learning through mathematical skills and strategies.

The key competencies will support programmes along with variety of teaching supports - e.g.

●      Task boards

●      Modelling books

●      Equipment/devices

●      Small or large groups

●      Mixed ability or ability groups

●      Workshops