Karori Normal School

The Arts 

"Learning in, through, and about the arts stimulates creative action and response by engaging and connecting thinking, imagination, senses, and feelings. By participating in the arts, students’ personal well-being is enhanced. As students express and interpret ideas within creative, aesthetic, and technological frameworks, their confidence to take risks is increased.” New Zealand Curriculum, 2007

Opportunities for students to participate in both the Performing and Visual Arts are alive and well at Karori Normal School. Learning in the Arts compromises the four, including dance, drama, music and visual art. All learning programmes in the Arts at Karori Normal School, taught by either specialist teachers or classroom teachers.

We offer a range of musical and performing arts opportunities at Karori Normal School. We would appreciate it if you discuss the following activities with your child/ren and encourage them to participate in one or more of the following performing arts groups this year.

Choirs and Chorale

Ms Ward directs our choirs and the Chorale. The Year 5/6 choir and Year 7/8 choir are optional and non-auditioned, while the Chorale is an auditioned choir for singers who wish to extend their performance experience (members must also be in the Year 7/8 choir). All choirs meet weekly, during the school day, for a 45 minute rehearsal, and perform at concerts throughout the year, including at Artsplash, the Cushion Concert, and at assemblies. The Chorale’s programme also includes performances within the community, such as at local rest homes. All students in Years 1-4 attend weekly or fortnightly singing sessions with Ms Ward.

Orchestra

Year 5-8 students are encouraged to join the school orchestra if they can read music with some fluency and are having lessons on their instruments. An audition may be required. A broad range of instruments is included in the orchestra. Rehearsals are held on Wednesday afternoons.

Ukulele

Students who wish to join the school’s ukulele group need to be familiar with some basic chords. We may also offer beginner ukulele lessons in school time, commencing at various times throughout the year.

Instrumental groups

In small groups, there may be opportunities for students to learn other instruments, such as keyboard, guitar, and recorder. This is dependent on timetabling and availability of space.

Dance

We are continuing with a lunch time dance crew for Year 5-8 students, which is led by Mrs Patel. This group will be learning hip hop style dances. The group will work on dances throughout the year for a range of performances.

Dancesplash occurs during the Artsplash Festival, which takes place in late September. Karori Normal School usually enters two teams, a Years 1-4 team and a Years 5-8 team. During Term 2, students across the school will be invited to participate in our Dancesplash teams.

Kapa Haka

All students participate in weekly Kapa Haka sessions. Teams in Years 1-6 attend Kapa Haka sessions, led by Mrs Ker, as per a rotation on Wednesday mornings. Kapa Haka is held on Tuesday mornings for Year 7/8 students, led by teachers in the Year 7/8 team.

Bands

Mr Wong runs a number of bands that meet weekly before school and at lunchtimes for 50 minutes. Performances include the Cushion Concert, assemblies, gala, lunchtime performances, and one band is chosen to represent the school at the Wellington Intermediate Battle of the Bands. Singers and instrumentalists for bands have to audition. Students need to have at least a year’s experience or be having lessons. Band is only offered to Year 7 and 8 students.

We encourage students at Karori Normal to make the most of these performing arts opportunities. We value your support and look forward to a wonderful year of music making. Your feedback in relation to our performing arts programme is very much appreciated, so please don’t hesitate to contact us with any ideas or suggestions.

Kind regards,

Kane O’Connell, Jacqueline Ward, David Wong, Anita Patel, Christiane Ker

Performing Arts Team

If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact Kane O’Connell (Arts Co-ordinator) either by email (koconnell@kns.school.nz) or phone (476 7209 ext 819).