Team Kowhai - Year 1
Welcome back to term 2 with Team Kowhai. We hope you had a relaxing and enjoyable holiday break and the kids are ready for another fun term of learning. The next New Entrant class opens this term and will be taught by Nicola Donovan (Monday-Thursday) and Michelle Mills (Fridays) in room 8. We also have Louisa Marks, a student teacher, joining us for most of the term in room 9. We continue with PMP and Kowhai Time, and will also be meeting up daily for Jump Jam and Yoga.
● Please make sure your child has suitable footwear so they can fully participate in sports and fitness activities.
● If your child brings toys to school then they need to understand that they are responsible for them.
● Learning independence and self-management is important so please encourage your child to carry and unpack their own school bag.
What’s on this term
● Te Reo Maori: Each class will have weekly Te Reo Maori lessons with our specialist teacher Whaea Adrienne. We will be learning about classroom objects, Maori myths and legends and how to introduce ourselves.
● Sports: We started the term with three football sessions run by coaches from Waterside Karori Football Club. We will be training daily for the School Cross country event on Wednesday 30th May at Karori Park. Please remember to send your child to school with appropriate clothes and footwear for running.
● Fitness: Yoga and Jump Jam. We bring the team together every morning to perfect our moves.
● Perceptual Motor Programme (PMP): PMP is a programme aimed at developing a child’s perceptions and understandings of themselves in relation to their world. It is a step by step programme that draws on facets of physical education, music, fitness, dance and gymnastics. Further information about PMP can be found here: http://www.movingsmart.co.nz/home/schools/pmp/what-is-perceptual-judgement/
● Assembly: Our assembly this term will be on Tuesday 19 June at 9:05am in the school hall. It would be great if you could join us.
● Kowhai Time: Every Friday we get together as a team and provide a range of fun activities aimed at teaching the children skills for school (cutting, gluing, pencil grips, painting, relating to others, managing self, ball handling skills, fine-motor skills).
● Kapa Haka: most Wednesdays, Christiane Ker will be leading our Kapa Haka sessions.
● Singing:Every Thursday we will have a session with our specialist music teacher Ms Ward.
● Library: All classes will visit the school library on Fridays. The children will be able to issue two books a week. Please remember to send these back the following Friday so that they can issue two new books.
Karori Normal School Values
The Values at Karori Normal School are Empathy, Excellence, Integrity, Respect and Responsibility. We base a lot of our conversations and learning around these values. We encourage you to talk with your kids about these values.
A reading book will come home most nights. Once your child has read it please remember to fill in the reading log and return it the next day. Basic sight words and alphabet cards may also be sent home to support your child’s learning.
If you have any questions about what gets sent home, or anything else, please talk to your child’s teacher.
James Appleton firstname.lastname@example.org
Louise Parsons email@example.com
Lisa Hadfield firstname.lastname@example.org
Room 4: Helena Henley email@example.com
Room 5: Maria Gorrie firstname.lastname@example.org
Room 8: Nicola Donovan email@example.com
Room 9: Jo Stevens firstname.lastname@example.org
JUNIOR BOOK ROOM HELP
Many thanks to the parents who helped last term with shelving books or processing our new readers.
We would appreciate any offers of assistance for this year. We read many books in a week at school and welcome any available help to return the books to their correct place. Our new books also need to be labeled, taped and stamped. If you have only fifteen minutes a day available for organising books this would help us tremendously. Full training will be provided!!! Please email me if you are able to help us this year, indicating whether you are available to return books in the book room or process new books at home.
Jo Stevens email@example.com