Team Kowhai - Year 1
Welcome to term 1 with Team Kowhai. We are rooms 4, 5, 9 and Tui block. The philosophy of our team is ‘having fun’ while learning. We have planned an enjoyable term for the children, including activities where all the rooms come together. The first few weeks will be spent establishing routines and expectations and getting to know each other.
● Sunhats are compulsory when children are outside in Term 1. They can bring one from home or wear a school sunhat. Hats must be full brimmed or a cap with a back flap.
● Please make sure your child has suitable footwear so they can fully participate in sports and fitness activities.
● If your child brings toys to school then they need to understand that they are responsible for them.
● Learning independence and self-management is important so please encourage your child to carry and unpack their own school bag.
What’s on this term
● Sports: We will be training for the School Athletics every Wednesday up to the event. The event will be held at Ben Burn Park on Wednesday 14th March with Wednesday 28th March as the postponement date.
● Fitness: Yoga and Jump Jam. We bring the team together every morning to perfect our moves.
● Perceptual Motor Programme (PMP): PMP is a programme aimed at developing a child’s perceptions and understandings of themselves in relation to their world. It is a step by step programme that draws on facets of physical education, music, fitness, dance and gymnastics. Further information about PMP can be found here: http://www.movingsmart.co.nz/home/schools/pmp/what-is-perceptual-judgement/. Another note will be coming home shortly asking for adult help.
● Assembly: Our first team assembly of the year will be on Tuesday 6th March at 9:10am in the school hall.
● Team Trip to Island Bay Marine Reserve: On Tuesday 13th March the whole team will travel by bus the Island Bay Marine Reserve. Further information will come out closer to the time.
● Kowhai Time: Every Friday we get together as a team and provide a range of fun activities aimed at teaching the children skills for school (cutting, gluing, pencil grips, painting, relating to others, managing self, ball handling skills, fine-motor skills).
● Kapa Haka: most Wednesdays, Christiane Ker will be leading our Kapa Haka sessions.
● Singing:Every Thursday we will have a session with our specialist music teacher Ms Ward.
● Library: All classes will visit the school library on Fridays. The children will be able to issue two books a week. Please remember to send these back the following Friday so that they can issue two new books.
Karori Normal School Values
The Values at Karori Normal School are Empathy, Excellence, Integrity, Respect and Responsibility. We base a lot of our conversations and learning around these values. We encourage you to talk with your kids about these values.
A reading book will come home most nights. Once your child has read it please remember to fill in the reading log and return it the next day. Basic sight words and alphabet cards may also be sent home to support your child’s learning.
PTA Wecome Drinks
The PTA is holding welcome drinks for parents on Wednesday 28 February, 7.30pm in the staff room. This is an opportunity for new parents in particular to come and hear from Conrad, the Board Chair and the PTA about what to expect at KNS in 2018 and connect with other parents over a drink and nibbles.
If you have any questions about what gets sent home, or anything else, please talk to your child’s teacher.
James Appleton email@example.com
Louise Parsons firstname.lastname@example.org
Lisa Hadfield email@example.com
Room 4: Helena Henley firstname.lastname@example.org
Room 5: Maria Gorrie email@example.com
Room 9: Jo Stevens firstname.lastname@example.org
JUNIOR BOOK ROOM HELP
Many thanks to the parents who helped last year with shelving books or processing our new readers.
We would appreciate any offers of assistance for this year. We read many books in a week at school and welcome any available help to return the books to their correct place. Our new books also need to be labeled, taped and stamped. If you have only fifteen minutes a day available for organising books this would help us tremendously. Full training will be provided!!! Please email me if you are able to help us this year, indicating whether you are available to return books in the book room or process new books at home.