Karori Normal School

Team Pohutukawa - Year 2, 2016

Display created by tamariki in Room 32, 2014

Kia Ora Koutou, introducing Team Pohutukawa

Our Year 2 team is:

Ms Wilhelmina Wooff– Room 7,  wooff@kns.school.nz

Ms Michele Mills – Room 11, mmills@kns.school.nz

Mrs Emma Imray – Room 12, eimray@kns.school.nz

Miss Rebecca Koch – Room 30,  rkoch@kns.school.nz

Miss Ange Watson – Room 32, awatson@kns.school.nz

Mrs Vicky Wood – Teacher Aide – vwood@kns.school.nz

Kia ora and welcome to Term Three, 2016 with Team Pohutukawa!

Thank you for all of your support for the first half of the school year.  We enjoyed many moments together as a team and will continue to do so in Term Three with Jump Jam, Kapa Haka, Singing and any other events that happen throughout the term.

For Term Three we will focus on the concept of change through technology.  Thank you to those of you who have already sent along resources for us to make musical instruments with.   We look forward to sharing our learning with you as the term rolls on.

We are having weekly music lessons with Ms Jacqueline Ward this term.  This will link in nicely with making musical instruments.

Dr Rachel Irwin is a local clinical psychologist and a parent at KNS.  She will be volunteering in the Junior School to assist children in areas including literacy, maths and motor skills.  Rachel might work with your child in a small group.  Please ask your child’s teacher if you have any further questions about this.  Thanks to Rachel for her help and support in the Year 2 classrooms.

Reading and spelling will be sent home in book bags regularly.  Browsing box books are in each of the classrooms as part of the reading material for our learners.  These are a selection of books that may be familiar to the students.  They are made up of mixed levels, which are lower than the guided reading level.  Reading a familiar text contributes to your child’s overall literacy learning and enjoyment of books.

Information about our assembly will be in the school notices.  If you can make it, we look forward to seeing you there and sharing the learning that happens in our Year Two classrooms.

Reflection Books/Kōrero Books will be sent home after the student led conferences that are in Week 7 and 8 of this term.  The purpose of these books is to collect a variety of work samples from throughout the year that you can enjoy in the years to come!  They will be a stimulus at the conferences also.

Some of our Year 2 children will be taking part in the Perceptual Motor Programme  - PMP.  PMP is a programme, which aims to develop the child's perceptions and understandings of himself or herself in relation to her/his world, through movement/motor experiences.  It aims to develop perceptions of height and space, the pattern and order of the child's natural world, the laws and limitations that govern the human body.  Above all it aims to give the child confidence to manipulate him/herself in their world to suit her or his own best interests.  PMP is different because it aims to develop the child rather than the skill.  It is not purely a motor programme.  It is a perceptual motor programme where language is the key factor in providing the perceptual knowledge about the motor experience.  The programme has its roots in the development of language, the gaining of problem solving skills, and general readiness areas.  PMP is a step-by step programme, designed and individualised for the development of PERCEPTUAL KNOWLEDGE and JUDGEMENT.

The KNS Values are an important part of our Year Two programme and we will continue to highlight the importance of these throughout the year.  Respect, responsibility, excellence, empathy and integrity are the five school wide values.

Here is a brief summary of things happening in each of our classrooms:

Room 7

Monday – Homework notebooks sent home

Wednesday –Team Jump Jam

Thursday –  Music, Team Singing (even weeks)

Friday – Return homework notebook to school, Kapa Haka, PE/Sport afternoon

Room 11

Monday - Poetry folders should be returned to school,  Spelling notebooks will be sent home.

Tuesday – PMP for some students in Room 11

Wednesday – Music with Ms Ward, Ms Alice Gilroy teaching: 11.45-3pm (Library Release) Team Jump Jam

Thursday –  Team singing (Even weeks) School Library (once it is open again)

Friday –  Kapa Haka, PE/Sport afternoon (Appropriate footwear and clothing please.) Poetry folders sent home for shared reading

Room 11 will be one of the KNS classes to host a student teacher this term. Her name is Brenna McNaught and she is working towards completing the Graduate Diploma in Primary Teaching through VIctoria University. She will be with us in Room 11 from the 8th August until the 23rd September and will need to complete a minimum of 16 days responsibility.

Karori Library Visits- Monday 8 August at 2pm, Tuesday 30 August at 11.15am

Please can you diary these dates so that your children remember to bring their Wellington City Libraries card to school on these days. As all issuing is now done on the four self-issuing machines, your child will need to have their library card with them on the day of the visit in order to take books out.

Room 12

Tuesday: Library (once it is open again)

Wednesday.  Team Jump Jam, Music Lessons

Thursday: Singing (even weeks)

Friday: Kapa Haka, PE/Sport afternoon

Room 30

Monday - School Library (once it is open again)

Wednesday - Music Lessons, Team Jump Jam

Thursday - Mrs Jo Maurice teaching, Singing on even weeks

Friday - Kapa Haka, PE/Sport afternoon

Room 32

Wednesday – Mrs Jo Maurice teaching, school library (once it is open again), team Jump Jam

Thursday – Team singing on even weeks, music lessons

Friday – Kapa Haka, PE/Sport afternoon

It is best to communicate with us via email or in person as we can’t always check the phone messages.  Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or need to arrange a time to meet.

Thanks for your support.

Ange Watson, Wilhelmina Wooff, Michele Mills, Emma Imray and Becky Koch