Karori Normal School

TEAM AKAKURA

Team Akakura is made up of seven mixed Year 3 and 4 classes.

Team Akakura – Y3/4 (Team Leader – Lindsey Wyeth)

Room 10

Nick Dowson

ndowson@kns.school.nz

Room 13

Claire Chittenden

cchittenden@kns.school.nz

Room 14

Darius Skeaping

dskeaping@kns.school.nz

Room 15

Margaret Wallis

mwallis@kns.school.nz

Room 16

Lindsey Wyeth

lwyeth@kns.school.nz

Room 17

Phil McIntosh (Assistant Team Leader)

pmcintosh@kns.school.nz

Room 18

Kristy Holly

kholly@kns.school.nz

Team Akakura Term Three Newsletter 

Kia ora, Ni hao, Bonjour, Talofa, Bula, Hallo, Guten Tag, Goede dag, Annyong, Buenos dias, Sour sdey, Xin chao and Namaste!

Term 3 is well and truly underway with students in Team Akakura (Year 3/4) settled in for the new term and all that it has to offer.

Our intention in these newsletters is to provide you with a brief overview of the learning programme and experiences that will take place across the classes in Team Akakura during the term. Please don’t hesitate to speak with one of us if you have any further questions about this term’s learning programme.

Topic / Inquiry

Classes within Team Akakura are finishing the exploration of NZ Wildlife in the first two weeks of this term. In a few weeks we will be examining the Olympics and looking at the different cultures of some of the participating countries. Each class might examine this in a slightly different way. Be sure to ask your child what they are learning in their class.

Mathematics

During maths, this term’s focus is fractions as well as continuing to learn strategies to solve addition/subtraction and multiplication/division problems. Classes will also be exploring topics related to measurement, geometry and statistics.

A maths basic facts programme is running within each class, which may also include weekly basic facts home tasks. Number identification and sequencing, grouping, and place value activities are also woven into mathematics lessons.

Literacy

This term, students are being provided with opportunities to write narratives, recounts, instructions, procedures and explanations. Within the reading programme, a range of comprehension strategies will continue to be taught and reinforced. This includes asking and responding to questions, making and justifying inferences, skimming and scanning text, identifying key words and note-taking, summarising main ideas, and identifying structural features of non-fiction texts, such as using a contents, index and glossary.

Spelling homework sits alongside various other spelling, punctuation and literacy activities occurring within Year 3/4 classes. Many of the spelling words that students bring home to learn derive from either errors in their Essential Spelling Word Tests, writing books or topic related vocabulary.

Artsplash and Dancesplash performances

A number of Year 3/4 students are participating in the Artsplash choir and/or Dancesplash performances in Week 6 of this term. Artsplash is a week-long arts festival, sponsored by Wellington City Council, which brings together primary schools throughout Wellington to celebrate dance, music, drama, visual art, and wearable art. Students involved are currently full steam ahead with rehearsing for their performances, which will take place at the Michael Fowler Centre on Monday 29 August (Artsplash choir) and Thursday 1 September (Dancesplash). Information regarding purchasing tickets to attend these performances ($5 per ticket) will be sent home in the coming weeks. Tickets will be sold through the school office.

Karori Library visits

Throughout this term, all Year 3/4 classes will pay a visit to the Karori Library. These sessions will take place on a Friday from approximately 11.10 – 12.15. The table below indicates when your child’s class will be visiting the Karori Library. If your child has a card for Wellington City Libraries, please send it along on the day of their visit to Karori Library as they are unable to get books out without their cards.

Classroom

Date of Karori Library Visit

Room 10

Friday August 5th

Room 13

Friday August 12th

Room 14

Friday August 19th

Room 15

Friday August 26th

Room 16

Friday September 2nd

Room 17

Friday September 9th

Room 18

Friday September 16th

Kapa Haka

All Team Akakura classes will continue to attend 45-minute Kapa Haka sessions on Friday mornings. These sessions are led by Mayana Karena and Wilhelmina Woof, the school’s lead teachers in Maori.

Physical Education

Physical education sessions will largely focus on small and large ball skills and fitness activities. We will have a rotation this term where children will rotate around and work with different teachers in the team on different sports skills such as netball, soccer, hockey, rippa rugby and basketball. This will take place on Tuesdays, so please make sure your child is wearing appropriate clothing and footwear on these days. Later in the term, we will concentrate on athletics skills in preparation for the school’s athletics day in early Term 4.

Korero Books

Our Korero Books will be coming home at the celebration of learning evenings this term. Please remember to take these home and look through them with your child. These books contain pieces of work that children are proud of and have been completed by your child throughout the year across various different curriculum areas. Once you have had the chance to look through them, please send them back to school. We would like to have them all back by the end of term (Friday 23 September) so that we can continue to add in work.

Dates to note in Term 3:

• ICAS English Competition – Tuesday 2 August
  • ICAS Maths Competition – Tuesday 16 August
  • New Zealand International Film Festival: Short Films for Schools Trip – Thursday 4 August, Embassy Theatre
  • Team Akakura assembly – Tuesday 20 September from 9.15-10.15 in the school hall
  • Sausage Sizzles – Friday 19 August and Thursday 15 September
  • Artsplash choir performance – Monday 29 August, 7:45pm, Michael Fowler Centre
  • Dancesplash performance – Thursday 1 September, 7:45pm, Michael Fowler Centre
  • Celebration of Learning – Thursday 8 September and Wednesday 14 September

Thank you for taking the time to read this term’s Team Akakura newsletter. We look forward to seeing you throughout the term.

Kind regards

Lindsey Wyeth, Phil McIntsoh, Kristy Holly, Claire Chittenden, Nick Dowson, Margaret Wallis and Darius Skeaping.

Contact details for teachers in Team Akakura

Teacher

Room

Email

Mrs Lindsey Wyeth (Team Leader)

16

lwyeth@kns.school.nz

Mr Phil McIntosh (Assistant Team Leader)

17

pmcintosh@kns.school.nz

Mr Nick Dowson

10

ndowson@kns.school.nz

Miss Claire Chittenden

13

cchittenden@kns.school.nz

Mr Darius Skeaping

14

dskeaping@kns.school.nz

Mrs Margaret Wallis

15

mwallis@kns.school.nz

Ms Kristy Holly

18

kholly@kns.school.nz