Karori Normal School

Team Akakura 

Newsletter Term 3

Amendment to Calendar  Term 3

Thursday, July 25, 2019

Swimming Carnival  - Thursday September 26 , 9:00-12:00 p.m.  Karori Pool

Our Swimming Carnival has been re-scheduled from Thursday September 19 to Thursday September 26, which is in Week 10.   We will have a fun packed morning where tamariki get to enjoy completing nine different challenges.  These challenges will cater to swimming ability and we will require parent help to have a successful and enjoyable morning.  A letter will be sent later in the term to outline the fabulous activities and ask for parent help.  

Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Kia Ora Whānau and Caregivers,

We hope that the break proved restful and tamariki are refreshed and ready for Term 3.  Last term, Anita Patel went on maternity leave and we look forward to meeting Jiya, who was born last Wednesday.  Team Akakura welcomes Alex Crawshaw who will be teaching in Room 18 for the remainder of the year. 

In Team Akakura we have:  

Our Inquiry for Term 3

This term we will be exploring the key concept of systems.  This will focus on tamariki explaining how a system works, identify why a system is not working and begin to take steps to solve it.  Like all the key concepts, systems is a broad one, and it is always exciting to see how the concept develops differently in each class. 

An overview of what we are learning in each curriculum area is outlined below:

• Maths - Fractions, proportions, and ratios

• Writing- Recounts, poetry, procedural and reports. The text types will be dependent on where each class takes their inquiry. 

• Reading – Continuing to read a range of texts and use a range of comprehension strategies to show our understanding. 

• PE – Winter sports and skills, Swimming Carnival in Week 9 - More details to follow

• Te Reo Māori  –Weekly Kapa Haka lessons.  Each class will also receive six lessons with Whaea Adrienne this term.  

Swimming Sports - Karori Pool on Thursday 1st August from 9:00 a.m. - 12.00 p.m.

The purpose of the Year 4 to 8 swimming sports is for students to get the opportunity to reach

Western Zones swimming sports if they would like to race competitively.

Only the Year 4’s who would like to be considered for the Western Zone Swimming Sports will compete on this date. They will leave for the pool at 9:00 a.m and will return to school once all their races are completed.

Students will sign up for these events in class early this term, so please discuss this with your

child before then. Those students who do enter these races must be able to confidently

complete 1 length of the pool.  They can sign up for 25m freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke, butterfly & 50m freestyle (2 lengths).

The Year 4’s who aren’t swimming will be supervised at school. The winners of the competitive races will go on to represent Karori Normal School at the Western Zone Swimming Sports which will take place later in the term.

All parents/caregivers are welcome to come along and support the students during Swimming

Sports. Please remind your tamariki to pack their togs, several towels, extra warm clothes to wear between races, a drink bottle and food to keep their energy levels up. 

Parent help

We are also looking for parent helpers on this day to assist us between approximately 9:15 -

12:00 p.m. It may take less time on the day depending on how many students

sign up for the events.  If you are able to volunteer to help with time-keeping or recording then please complete the google form.  If we don’t have enough parents on the day we will be using Year 8 students to assist with the time-keeping.

Google form link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSekSik1451F67zM0M-zIjykh2JKMGP2JPveJVWMb2_wmCLehw/viewform

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact Margaret Presland (Sports Co-ordinator),  mpresland@kns.school.nz 

Artsplash 2019 - Monday 16 September, 7:30 p.m. Michael Fowler Centre

A date to diary for those tamariki who are part of the Artsplash Choir.  

Swimming Carnival - Thursday 19 September, 9:00-12:00 p.m.  Karori Pool

We will have a fun packed morning where tamariki get to enjoy completing nine different challenges.  These challenges will cater to swimming ability and we will require parent help to have a successful and enjoyable morning.  A letter will be sent later in the term to outline the fabulous activities and ask for parent help.  

Dancesplash 2019 -  Thursday 19 September 7:45pm, Michael Fowler Centre

A date to diary for those tamariki who are part of the Dancesplash Crew.  

General reminders:

Please remind children they are welcome to bring items to play with at break times however it is not the school's or teacher's responsibility if they get lost or broken - please talk with your tamariki so they understand this. 

As always, please feel free to come in, look around and talk to us.

Kind Regards,

Team Akakura Kaiako