Message to Parents - Returning to Level 2 - 28th February 2021
Kia ora koutou,
As you will be aware, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has announced we have moved back into COVID alert level 2, from 6.00am this morning for a period of seven days. If you are new to KNS, please read the message below carefully. If you were with us on 14/02/2021, please read the message to remind yourself of the expectations at level two.
Please also note that the PTA picnic planned for this coming Friday 05 March, has been postponed until Friday 12 March.
Ngā mihi nui
Conrad, James and Phil
The overriding principles for Alert Level 2 are:
1. to minimise the risk that someone gets infected in the first place
2. to ensure we can identify and contact anyone who has been in close contact with a person, if someone in a school or early learning centre is infected
3. to understand that Level 2 is not business as usual
- If your child is sick please keep them at home. If staff notice or observe a student appears unwell, for example, coughing, sneezing or a running nose, we will call you to collect your child. We are required to be more vigilant at this time.
- A strong focus on hygiene measures: Children will be reminded about the importance of good hygiene. Regular hand washing and hand sanitizing will be a key measure in minimising risks. Hand sanitizer will be in all classrooms. Every classroom has access to soap and water nearby.
- All classrooms will be cleaned by professional cleaners every evening. Hard surfaces will be cleaned throughout the day.
- Physical distancing where possible: Children will be encouraged to keep their distance from others. That is, not getting too close or touching other children. We realise this will be difficult for some of our children, particularly the younger ones. We will do our best to manage this.
- There is no bubble concept and the idea of “groups of 10” does not apply to children and staff in the school setting.
- People will react and respond to returning to level 2 in different ways and we need to be respectful and supportive of this. There may be some staff and students who choose to wear face masks during level 2 and we will support these decisions.
- There will be some anxious children, parents and staff as we all return to Level 2. If you need any further support related to anxiety or the return to school please contact the Deputy Principals Phil McIntosh and James Appleton.
- Not all students will be anxious.
- As best you can, use your normal reassurances to make school safe and secure.
- The purpose for entering the school is to take your child to the classroom door. You are unable to enter the buildings.
- We will not be contact tracing at the gates but please scan the QR codes using the COVID tracer app.
- Any parent arriving at school during the day must enter at the school office entrance on Donald Street and sign in.
- The school hours remain the same 8:55 to 3pm. No Children are to be dropped off before 8:30am during Level 2.
- To ease congestion at the beginning and the end of the day we would like to encourage our older children and those that normally walk to continue to do this. If you do not need to come onto the school grounds, we ask that you do not during level 2.
- Kiss and Drop will continue and hand sanitizer will be used by all volunteers.
- The scooter and bike racks remain in the same place. Please remember to bring a bike lock to secure these.
- If your child is going to be absent please follow our usual process, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 04 4767209.
Before and After School Care
- At this stage, we have not heard from the after school providers. However, when we moved to level 2 last August they continued to operate with the same pick up and drop off services.